September 10, 2010

Get Moving!


It's Fall it's Fall it's Fall!!!

I LOVE Autumn. It is my favourite season. The leaves change, the winds blow cooler, and every part of me seems to wake up from the daze of summer heat. My body and my mind are tingling with a revitalized awareness and new, exciting ideas. There is more electricity in the air and in me, and I suddenly need more outlets for my increased energy. As a result, Fall is a productive time creatively and physically.

I'm getting back into weight-training after being pretty damn lazy all summer. I love throwing heavy shit around, and it's really important for health. I haven't done it in a while and after a few sessions back in the gym it's apparent that I have become really weak. I'm looking forward to putting in the work and feeling like a warrior chick again.

I always enjoy tracking my progress throughout a program, because I find it motivating to see how much stronger, more agile, and more flexible I become as time goes by. It also lets me know what is and isn't working.

I am a huge nerd who is fascinated by the science of fitness, and I like to view my developments or lack thereof with the eyes of an eager student who is conducting experiments. I'm kind of my own lab rat, and it's really fun for me! Nerrrrrd.

An essential part of measuring progress is tracking body composition. I track myself by periodically recording my:

EXERCISE PROGRESSION
GIRTH MEASUREMENTS
BODY WEIGHT
PICTURES

From time to time I will get my body-fat measured with calipers as well, but I don't put too much stock in that as body-fat measurements are notoriously inaccurate (the at-home electrical impedence body fat scales being some of the worst offenders. Please don't take those numbers seriously). Together, the above four give me a good idea of where I'm at physically.

I keep an eye on how I'm feeling too, in terms of my energy levels, my emotions, and my mental state. If I'm healthy, then my body, mind and spirit are all working well together. If I'm over-training, or exhausted, or putting more focus on workouts than on personal relationships - well that ain't healthy right?

This blog is about living well, and since fitness is such a huge part of my life, I'll be talking about it often and giving updates now and then on what excites me.









*

5 comments:

  1. Anxiously awaiting part two. Good luck this fall. I know you will accomplish great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall be chugging along right behind you. I agree about this season, so refreshing after a sweltering summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck - maybe you could think of a handicapped challenge ... I'd be glad to join in based on my own weight training goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yessss!!!!! I can't wait to see all your pics and stay motivated by my favorite trainer! P.S. I was thinking of taking up Muai Thai in a month, wanna come to a class and see if it "fits"? GO WARRIOR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goose: Thanks darling, I'm looking forward to continuing to be inspired by you! I'd like to get start running races eventually.

    Suze: I don't think you'll be behind me at all. If anything I'll be racing to catch up with you! ;)

    Andrew: Hello and welcome! I'm not so much doing a challenge right now so much as I am changing my habits and re-establishing a routine. I'd love to hear more about what you are doing though. Are you blogging?

    Tanya: Hellooooo hot-stuff. More info on Muay-Thai please. May not be able to fit it into my schedule right now but I'd like to check it out before I decide. xo

    ReplyDelete